After four months, including a one-month hiatus from writing, at least a moment is finally finished! It’s definitely the best piece I’ve written to date, and I’m incredibly proud of it. I’ll be doing a few rounds of minor revisions and edits, but it is, for all intents and purposes, finished.

The final notes were penned Friday afternoon (1/16) at the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts. (The coffee shop where I did the majority of the work on the piece recently ousted the laptop crowd, so I had to relocate to a new “office”.) In the coming week or two, I’ll do some consultation on harp logistics, as well as on piano logistics for the future voice-and-piano version (wherein the “harp spellings” will be ironed out for ease of reading at the piano).

The Fall was a time of setbacks for the work, even as I flew through the first two movements (now the third and first, respectively). The fall performances were either canceled or rescheduled, and the grant application we had put in for the commissioning fee was turned down. The former setbacks were minor and understandable. The latter was more than a little disheartening – especially as I’m so absolutely proud of this cycle – but clearly didn’t stop the project from progressing. Now that it’s finished, though, we look ahead to a new schedule of performances, and a subsequent transcription for voice and piano!